Sunday, September 11, 2011

Is is just me? Doctor Who filler vs core arc stories

Last night, I watched the Doctor Who episodes Night Terrors and The Girl Who Waited. Maybe it is just me, but I think that the random filler stories are more entertaining than the episodes of the core story arc (Doctor's Death/River Song). But then again, I am an old fashioned type of Whovian.

Previous to the modern era (in my opinion), Doctor Who did long story arcs much better. Or at least, they were more entertaining.

I found Let's Kill Hitler pretty lame in places. I was not fooled for a second by the whole Mel ploy. The instant I saw the red car, I knew it was stolen and that there was only one person who regularly helps herself to other people's stuff in this particular season (Series 6 or 32 depending on how you want to count it).

Even the most under-rated long story arc of the previous era, Trial of a Time Lord, was more interesting. But that may just be me. After all, I am a Colin Baker fan.

(Note that I like Matt Smith; it is just that I can't help but compare the current episodes to Trial of a Time Lord which was the first long arc Doctor Who story I ever saw.)

No comments: